Friday, May 31, 2013

Crap! That Sounds A Lot like Jesus

Tomorrow night we are throwing a Flash Mob Block Party in a section of the city where prostitution riddles the streets. The goal is to temporarily disrupt the industry in a peaceful, loving manner. We'll invite the prostitutes to come eat with us, receive a manicure, make jewelry, hang out, talk if they want to, and experience Love. I've been on the planning end of this event, buying supplies, making lists, and of course, asking questions. Lots of questions. It all sounded so awesome, so brave, until I realized that I am going to this event. So I asked, "Won't the pimps be mad that we are distracting their girls and they are losing money?" It seems like a bad idea to be on the wrong side of a pimp. The answer: "Yeah, they might be. But if they come over to us, we will invite them to eat with us."

My first thought was not to invite them in--aren't they the enemy? Aren't they the ones we are fighting against? But as my friend spoke those words, my second thought came crashing in: "Crap, that sounds a lot like Jesus." Everyone was invited to to the table to eat with Jesus. He saw their brokenness, he acknowledged their sin, he loved them, he beckoned them.

I can know every argument about why God exists or every verse about loving people (I don't know either of those things, btw), but if I'm not willing to invite everyone to the table, have I really encountered the never-ending love of Jesus? People are changed by grace, not by arguments and knowledge. I am changed by grace.

People are never the enemy. Never. When I engage with people as if they are the problem, I am ignoring the Gospel. And when I ignore the Gospel, I am void of love. And if love is what changes people, how can restoration be brought to this broken world?

I am nervous about tomorrow night; I am even a little afraid. If you're the praying type, please pray. I am so thankful for the group of people I work with here--they are all SUPES excited, not appearing to be nervous at all. Whew, glad there are some brave ones here! Actually, being brave doesn't mean I am not afraid, it means I do it, I go, even when I feel afraid. Because deep down, I know Whose I am. I know I am deeply loved by the Creator of Love.

2 comments:

  1. Wow great idea and I would be scared too! I love reading all your posts--there is a trend in all of them...you are delivering The Message no matter what you are doing. God's love shines through you even if you aren't saying a word. The part of this that stood out to me the most was "People are changed by grace, not by arguments and knowledge." How true that is. Thank you for always being so open in your thoughts and feelings and for sharing them! You are a blessing! ~ Jill Jochum

    ReplyDelete